List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Working on KDE3 or KDE4?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-06-23 23:11:30

Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Friday 22 June 2007 schrieb James Richard Tyrer:
>> Joshua Rogers wrote:
>>> Hello All! I was wondering if it would be better for the
>>> community for a newbie ( READ: me ) to try bug busting in KDE 3
>>> or to try and find / bust bugs in KDE 4.  I suppose I just want
>>> to try and do whichever one is most productive for the whole.
>> I would recommend working on bugs filled against KDE3 (and older if
>> they still exist), and testing them for reproducibility against the
>> current KDE-3.5 BRANCH.
>>

> Of course this only makes sense for code that still exists in KDE4 in
> one way or the other.

In either case, we need to clear the old bugs.  It also depends on
exactly what is meant by "code that still exists".

I went to port the fix for a KDE3 bug to KDE4 and I found the code file
in a different directory and the file had been considerably modified.
The few lines that I needed to change had also been modified, but they
had that same form and did the same thing wrong.  So, I would say that
the same bug still existed in KDE4 although you might say that the code
didn't "still exist" in KDE4.

> And this is not true for quite some of KDE3 code. So your advise is
> pretty contra productive I'd say.

Contra productive means that it would do harm.  Following my suggestion
will do no harm.  In fact, it will do good by addressing the question
about what to do about all of the KDE3 bugs in BugZilla.  Yes, a more
experienced developer could address this more efficiently, but Joshua
said that he was a newbie.  I'm not going to tell a newbie to try to fix
bugs in KDE4 because it isn't stable enough yet.  You need a stable
release to test bugs against and we don't have one yet for KDE4.

--
JRT