List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Some questions regarding development for KDE3
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2007-01-18 22:54:01

On Thursday 18 January 2007 23:07, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 18.01.07 22:54:43, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> >
> > Gee, I don't know, something like Eclipse's indexing feature perhaps ?
>
> And thats probably a reason why eclipse is so bloated.

This bloat is a huge time saver in everyday development. It's still
semi-working for C++ (again because it's so damn hard to parse), but for Java
I wouldn't even think of programming without this.

> Why is find a problem?

(more than find, it's grep, but anyway) Because it knows nothing about the
language syntax. You can't reliably find the usage of a method or a class
with it (or even worse, a variable - but that doesn't work properly in CDT
either).

> KDevelop does store the result of old searches by putting each result in
> a separate tab in the find in files toolview.
>
> And of course you can access old search patterns in the dialog.

Eclipse has a small drop-down menu in the search tab, which I find more
convenient that popping plenty of search results tabs (which is one of the
few things Idea got less right than Eclipse, usability-wise).

--
Guillaume.
http://telegraph-road.org