List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Some questions regarding development for KDE3
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-01-18 22:50:43

On 18.01.07 23:34:44, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> On Thursday 18 January 2007 20:43, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > - Quick Open Class still doesn't handle wildcards ('*'), it only
> > > completes on the beginning of the fully qualified class name. How
> > > convenient when all your classes are under a specific namespace, you have
> > > to type the whole namespace name before being able to filter anything.
> >
> > When I type "AST" on kdev4 sources I see both unnamespaced and
> > namespaced classes.
>
> That's much better. I still strongly suggest you add support for a '*'
> wildcard.

I'll post a mail to kdevelop-devel, lets see if somebody wants to
implement this.

> > > - same lack for Quick Open File, which also only shows source files and
> > > makefiles
> >
> > It shows all files that belong to the project, if for some reason a file
> > doesn't belong to the project kdevelop can't do much.
>
> Fair enough. I tried it only after a quick import. What threw me off is that
> all the files (including non imported ones) where shown in the 'File'
> navigation view.

There's no "File" view, there's the File Selector and the File Tree. The
File Selector is much like an integrated konqueror window, the File
Tree shows all files in the project directory, but highlights files that
belong to the project by making them bold.

> > > - still no outline view for the currently opened file (no, the navigation
> > > bar listing all files method is not an acceptable substitute though it's
> > > a definitive improvement)
> >
> > 3.4 can sync the class view on the left side with the current file which
> > gives you something that gets as close to an outline as kdev3 can. Also
> > the navigation bar does provide completion in 3.4
>
> OK. A suggestion though, better strip the whole method signature, it's only
> useful for overloaded methods which doesn't happen that often in practice,
> and the rest of the times it's just clutter.

Hmm, ever looked at Qt recently? I see plenty of overloads there ;) An
option to do this may be an option ;)

> > You can click on any result (or use keyboard) and immediately jump to
> > the exact position in the given file. You see the full filename. All 3.4
> > though, I don't have 3.3 installed here to check.,
>
> Eclipse shows search results in a tree which is a subset of the project's
> hierarchy. It's much easier to navigate, especially when there are lots of
> results.

Yes, I do find this convenient sometimes, other times I find it
hindering, especially with deep project hierarchies like java packages.

> > Forget code-completion in 3.3, its broken. 3.4 is completely reworked
> > here. From Eclipse all I hear is that it crashes or hangs your system
> > when you have code completion for kdelibs or qt.
>
> Works fine here, but it takes too long to be really useable.

3.4 is still not "blazingly fast", but
a) it includes more information
b) it works more reliable
c) its much faster than 3.3...

> > Yes, thats correct and with a firm that invests quite some money. Of
> > course there are things they do better, but eclipse is too darn slow
> > here on my system. Even typing in the editor is a pain.
>
> Eclipse is barely useable under 1Gb of RAM. You also have to give the jvm a
> larger heap than default, about 512Mb is right for a large project (Eclipse
> 3.2 made huge progress in that regard).

See, KDevelop has currently a memory footprint of less than 200 MB even
after parsing its own source code. Eclipse is totally unusable on my
Centrino/1.4GHz/1GB RAM system without natively compiling it.

> > Well, looking at 3.4 I think there are a few more things, but as I said
> > above I didn't have the time yet to do exhausting testing with cdt. The
> > stuff I tried worked not that well (and I did have 3.2, it was around
> > christmas last year).
>
> You tried the current version then. All I can think of is that your jvm had a
> very small heap and was spending its time GCing.

Heap is 512Megs :) I'll try to retest it when I have some time...

Andreas

--
Tonight's the night: Sleep in a eucalyptus tree.