List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KFile plugins
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-10-15 21:39:26

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 15 October 2005 23:22, Carsten Niehaus wrote:
> On Saturday 15 October 2005 23:11, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > > Well, there won't be a KDE 3.6 and it is to late for inclusion in KDE
> > > 3.5. So the next KDE for your chemical KFile plugin is KDE 4.0 which is
> > > about one year in the future.
> >
> > For the main modules this is true.
> > But I guess we could find an appropriate extragear module for them.
> > extragear/addons maybe?
>
> Well, if they were in kdeaddons where you allready do find a kfile-plugins
> subdir [1] the situation would become more and more confusing. Currently
> there are about 10 locations for kfile-plugins (for example KBabel
> introduces one for .ts-files in [2]).
> While adding some new plugins in extragear would make them somehow official
> they would still not be released with KDE and we would introduce yet
> another location for fileplugins.

They won't be released with a KDE release but neither is KOffice.
I might be terribly mistaken, but as far as I understand the purpose of KDE
extragear is to provide a module of release worthy software that is not
included in the main modules for a reason and this reason might be that it
needs a faster release cycle but I don't think this is the only valid reason.

Again depending on my current information and interpretation I find it very
likely that packagers will update their packages for extragear software even
if KDE itself isn't released, thus giving any maintainer of software in
extragear the possibility to become part of distribution repositories and
released between KDE releases.

Having an application in kdereview with the goal of getting it into extraear I
hope it works that way :)

Cheers,
Kevin

--