List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KFile plugins
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () cirulla ! net>
Date:       2005-10-15 22:49:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 15 October 2005 21:21, Egon Willighagen wrote:
> On Thursday 13 October 2005 17:59, Thomas Kadauke wrote:
> > Recently, I uploaded several KFile plugins to kde-apps.org:
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> interesting reading below... I'm working (with a few others) on kfile
> plugins too, in the field of chemistry. First KDE work too:
>
> http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=28995
>
> (the sources are in SVN in playground/utils/kfile_chemical/)

Uh, me too! I have developed three IF related kfile plugins.
I've added them to playground/games/kfile-plugins, and packages can be found
here:

By the way, currently, all my mime types rely on the extension to recognize
the file content. This is not satisfactory, since, for example,
many z-machine games have a ".dat" extension, which is too generic to be
useful. So I would prefer using the magic file, but my experiments in that
direction do not seem to work. Do I have to specify anything particular in
the mimetype.desktop file to trigger file examination?

The file command already has the rules needed to identify the files, and I
tried adapting them to the `kde-config --prefix`/share/mimelnk/magic
syntax, but that does not seem to work on its own.

[lots of interesting stuff deleted]

> Kat, which is told to be the working implementation of Tenor, or at least
> heads that way, *indeed* uses kfile plugins to extract meta info.

Interesting. So these plugins will get much more use in the future.
While writing one of the plugin I was a bit concerned with the fact that it
should not do too much. For stuff like the file tip, you do not want to scan
a multimegabyte file... but if it is used in a low priority batch, it could
extract more informations.

Luciano

--
Luciano Montanaro //