List:       kde-devel
Subject:    A configurable configure?
From:       Thomas Friedrichsmeier <thomas.friedrichsmeier () ruhr-uni-bochum ! de>
Date:       2005-04-24 21:41:50

Hi,

as I don't really know how feasible / desireable this is, I'm posting to this
list instead of opening a feature request right away.

The problem:
The KDE-build system does about everything you might ever want from a build
system. In fact, it may do a little more. I suppose, when building the main
KDE-sources, all the various checks in ./configure serve a purpose.
However, the KDE-build system (the admin dir) is also used for various third
party KDE-application. KDevelop uses the KDE-build system for new projects.
For such projects, all the test in ./configure are generally overkill.
In my projects, the size of the configure script is close to reaching 1MB. It
takes quite a while to complete even on relatively new machines. For many
tests I can tell quite definitely that I simply don't need them. In fact, for
some I can tell that most projects could care less about the result of those
tests.
On some problematic hosts (e.g. some compile farm servers on sourceforge), I
even had to manually remove parts of the configure-script to get past the
configure stage - removing parts that I really did not need, by the way.
Still it simply does not sound like a good idea to modify the copies of the
files in the admin-dir in my projects. After all, I want to update those
files every once in a while to keep track of recent changes/fixes.

What I think would be cool:
It would be nice to have some simple file which allows you to specify some
configure tests that should not be conducted. In my vision, there'd be one
option for each "checking if"-line ./configure prints out (or at least for
some less important ones). Something like:

check_g77 = false
check_mcopidl = false
check_uic = false
check_moc = true

Again, I don't know whether this is feasible at all (or if something like this
is already doable), so please bear with me. Still, something like this would
be _very_ nice.

Thomas