List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: A configurable configure?
From:       Benjamin Meyer <ben () meyerhome ! net>
Date:       2005-04-26 9:39:45

On Sunday 24 April 2005 5:41 pm, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as I don't really know how feasible / desireable this is, I'm posting to
> this list instead of opening a feature request right away.
>
> The problem:
> The KDE-build system does about everything you might ever want from a build
> system. In fact, it may do a little more. I suppose, when building the main
> KDE-sources, all the various checks in ./configure serve a purpose.
> However, the KDE-build system (the admin dir) is also used for various
> third party KDE-application. KDevelop uses the KDE-build system for new
> projects. For such projects, all the test in ./configure are generally
> overkill. In my projects, the size of the configure script is close to
> reaching 1MB. It takes quite a while to complete even on relatively new
> machines. For many tests I can tell quite definitely that I simply don't
> need them. In fact, for some I can tell that most projects could care less
> about the result of those tests.

I had similar feelings when my little apps were turning out several MB sized
releases.  Check out the bksys project.  I have been using it to build my
internal projects lately and there is a bit of interest in possibly having
KDE use it for KDE4. So far it has worked very well and makes much smaller
releases for me :)

http://freehackers.org/~tnagy/bksys.html

-Benjamin Meyer

--