List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Allow money donations for precise bugs
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () kossebau ! de>
Date:       2005-03-14 21:17:54

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Montag, 14. März 2005 20:24, schrieb Maurizio Colucci:
> Heiner Lamprecht wrote:
> >>Of course, but this is only true for the *current* developer
> >>community! But with the proposed feature, the community would
> >>grow and gain new elements who do have that motivation. Today,
> >>they keep themselves outside of KDE, obviously.
> >
> > So you assume, that those developing today will stay even if this
> > donate-for-feature-system will be established.
>
> If they *really* were to go away, they would be a minority of very fanatic,
> or very antidemocratic, or very stupid, people. So, IMHO, it would be
> better to loose them.
>
> But, of course, I don't *really* believe they will go away, as they will
> realize they can continue to do the *same* things they have been doing
> until now: work for free and under their own guidance.

Unless they get in conflict with those who are only keen to quickly get some
money regardless if a feature (or its implementation) makes sense. That is
what many fear (me too) I guess. Until now all the code maintainers (except
for those paid by companies but they seem to be able to work on their own)
could argue about sentin patches only by the code quality and featurewise.
But when money comes into play the focus might get lost.

Money can kill fun! A money driven development is not what KDE was and will be
about I think.

Maurizio, really, what about setting up some site like kde-bounties.org where
you could test if your proposal works? People interested in getting bounties
could take their jobs up there. If it works and will be accepted by the
developers it might be integrated into *.kde.org. But please try before in a
sandbox. Think kdenonbeta ;)

Friedrich