List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Apologies and clearing of misunderstandings
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2005-03-14 21:21:14

Hello,

I realize that a big part of the quarrel is due to the fact that I haven't
been clear at explaining my intentions, in my original post.

I gave the impression that the KDE developer community should be *forced*
to 	accept a feature when it has been paid for by users.

This was never my intention.

I also seem to have given the impression that, in some way, KDE policies of
code quality and patch acceptance should change, to be dominated by users will.

Also this was never my intention.

I was simply trying to say that, *if* a developer accepts a task, then he
*must deliver* the code he promised. Whether the code he produces is accepted
into KDE is yet to be seen. No one is forcing KDE developers to do anything.
His patch would be subject to the *same* policies and scrutiny that *any*
patch currently is.

For all that, I am very sorry. Please accept my excuses. And, please, allow
me to state, this time in a hopefully clear way, my intentions. Especially
read points 2, 4, 5, and 12.

If you still feel system would threaten any of your interests, or freedoms,
any at all, *please* let me know.

----

1.
We supply a web site, a central place where any user can post a request for a
feature (or bug fix) that he needs. For example, he can request a patch to
KDE, or Gnome, or Xorg, which does a certain thing. Or he can request a full
application.

He only specifies the functionality, and nothing else (no money, no timeline).

2.
Those developers who need money visit the web site periodically, and look at
the requests.

On the other hand, developers who do not need money, or who do not like to be
told by users what to do, will simply ignore the web site and continue to do
what they have been doing so far: program for free and under their own guidance.

3.
If a developer freely decides to accept a task, then he posts a reply. This
reply is something like

       I believe I can implement that feature for 3000$ in 5 months. Let
       donations begin. Donations close in 20 days, on September 3.

   Notice the developer defines one money sum (3000$) and two times (September
   3, five months).

4.
When he posts the above reply, the developer is free to modify the
requirements, to rephrase them, or to specify them better. This can be useful
because, sometimes, users don’t propose the best way to solve a problem.
Also, often their requests are too vague and fuzzy.

5.
Anyway, before posting the above reply, the developer had better be careful:
if the code he eventually produces were not accepted into KDE-Gnome-Xorg,
later he would receive negative ratings from the donators. This would make it
difficult for him to receive a donation next time. So, before he writes the
above offer, he had better make sure the KDE-Gnome-Xorg community is willing
to accept such a feature.

This problem, of course, does not exist if the request is about a standalone
application.

Also, the developer had better carefully choose the amount of money he asks
for: if he asks for too much, the threshold may not be reached in the given
time, and he will not be able to work at all. If he asks for too little, he
may have to stop development without delivering, which would make him receive
negative ratings.

6.
Donations begin (for that specific feature). Any user can donate freely, or
not donate at all.

Users decide whether to donate, and how much, according to the developer’s
rating. Each developer has a “rating” which represents his “reputation”. It
is a number that depends on how well he fulfilled previous tasks. He has been
voted directly from his previous donators, after he delivered. If he failed
to deliver what he promised, or did it badly, he will presumably have a low
reputation level, and will get fewer donations.

(Note: a consequence of the reputation system is that donations are specific
to a given developer. Donations are not only per-feature, but also
per-developer.)

7.
When a user donates (to that developer for that feature), the money is not
transferred immediately to the developer (because we still don’t know if the
3000$ threshold will be reached).

Instead, when a user makes a donation, he just leaves the credit card number,
so the web site is sure he will keep his word and not withdraw his offer
later, on September 3.

8.
At any given time, before September 3, the web site shows a slider with the
overall donation. So users can quickly check how much money is needed for the
3000$ threshold to be reached.

9.
(optional) At any time, before September 3, the developer can choose to lower
the threshold, or to accept the current amount of money. This can be useful
in case some other developer is offering himself to do the same job for less.

A developer can also cancel his offer at any time, in which case no money
transfer happens, and he looses only a few reputation points.

10.
On September 3, two things can happen:

(A) The overall donation has not reached 3000$. This means that either
     not enough people regard the feature as worthy of 3000$, or
     that the time limit has been chosen poorly by the developer, not giving
     people enough time to notice the feature.

     In either case, the feature will not be implemented, and any activity for
     the feature ends here.

     Also, in this case no money is taken from the bank accounts of donators.
     No money transfer at all has taken place.

(B) The overall donation has reached 3000$ (or it didn’t but the developer
     accepts nonetheless). In this case, the money is transferred to the
     developer’s bank account, and he starts coding. He will deliver in at
     most five months (time he had previously chosen).

     The money is not transferred all at once, to deter the developer from not
     working or disappearing, after he got the money.

11.
During the five months of development, at any time, the developer must make
available the code developed so far. This is needed to prove he is actually
working. If he doesn’t, the web site stops transferring the sum money
periodically to his bank account.

12.
After five months (time that the developer itself had chosen), the developer
publishes the final code he has produced.

This code may or may not be accepted into mainstream products, such as KDE,
Gnome, Xorg. The KDE-Gnome-Xorg communities must not change anything in their
policies of code quality, or their policies of code acceptance. They are not
forced to accept the patch. For those communities, everything continues
exactly as it was. The KDE-Gnome-Xorg developer community may not even know
that the patch was paid for, and in any case they don’t need to care. All the
developer community will notice is a pleasant increase in participation from
unknown outsiders, which previously seemes to not exist.

13.
The donators give a rating to the developer. This rating will be based on
their personal level of satisfaction, in relation to what the developer
promised.

In particular, if the software does not work well or was not accepted into
KDE, thee rating will presumably be bad, and the developer will find it
harder to get donations next time.

----

My best wishes,

Maurizio