List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Allow money donations for precise bugs
From:       Jonas Widarsson <jonas () widarsson ! com>
Date:       2005-03-14 20:59:57

On Mondayen den 14 March 2005 20.24, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> If they *really* were to go away, they would be a minority of very fanatic,
> or very antidemocratic, or very stupid, people. So, IMHO, it would be
> better to loose them.

I see two phrases here annoying me greatly:
very stupid
better to loose them

You are revealing your not so healthy opinion on controlling things there.

If you wouldn't be given a chance to control the developer, you think it's
better to be without him. And, just to really display your naivety, you call
them stupid If they want to be in charge of their own creation.

Thank you!

I hate when other people try to control me. I can't stand it at all. This
suggestion of yours wouldn't fit me at all. Donations would however, since
they leave the decision of what to the money to me. At the moment I don't
deserve any donations.

fanatic:
Yes, why not? I am in for the flourishing possibilities that overwhelm me when
reading source code documentation and discussions on technical details. If
someone starts messing with that form of freedom, involving money, yes you
would actually hurt me.

antidemocratic:
Yes, call me antidemocratic as well. Since I wouldn't let anyone direct my
evolution - by stealing time from fulfilling my dreams by waving with dollars
saying, it's yours if you do this - I guess that is antidemocratic. I am
definitely a minority. If one developer's application has 1000 users and ten
of them wish for something I don't have any interest in, and vote/reserve
money for it, I would still be a minority, even though ten is a little part
of 1000. I am even smaller. But I would still like to be in control of my own
creation. Don't come with crap about democracy. People are working for free
here!

IMO, not a single contributor to KDE or any app associated with it working for
the love of it would like to be controlled by less dedicated people just
placing requests! Go study something so you can contribute yourself!

If this message does not contain much logic or seems childish, nevertheless I
am a programmer and I WOULD NOT like anyone to push wishes forward using
money. Please contribute in some creative way instead. If you really like me
to implement something, argue well, and make me believe in the idea and burn
for it first. Then, I'll do it for free. If I don't like it, I don't want the
wish around for me to deal with, and especially not in the form of power
money represents. Not me. No.
*going offline, leaving computer science for good*
(slightly over amplified ;) )

No, please leave the KDE community out of your monetary ideas. Please go for
it, but not right here. Do your control thing elsewhere.

Kind wishes,
--
Jonas Widarsson

tel: +46 271 152 00 - tel: +46 271 121 42 (hemma/home) - gsm: +46 70 539 64 79