List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Questions about splitting kdebase into a plethora of packages
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2005-02-10 21:06:32

On Thursday 10 February 2005 1:00 pm, Lokheed wrote:
> Thanks will do some reading. Thats an even worse worry now that if I do
> come across a bug, I dont get support from KDE and will have to rely on
> Gentoo alone as they will only support the split version because
> apparently its too hard to maintain ONE extra ebuild but not enough work
> to maintain 300+...I think I missed a meeting somewhere ;)

I use Gentoo, but do not use the gentoo ebuilds. I just maintain my own KDE
tree in /opt/kde.

It is very easy to do this in gentoo. If you then later want to emerge another
app with a KDE component in the USE flag ( such as USE=arts ), just *tell*
portage that it is installed by using 'emerge --inject
kde-<whatever>/<appName>'

That, and make an /etc/env.d/99kde-env entry for KDEDIRS, and you are all set.

Gentoo is flexable, if you don't like the way they are packaging stuff, just
build your own :P

--
If you wait by the river long enough, eventually
you will see the bodies of all your enemies float by.