List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Questions about splitting kdebase into a plethora of packages
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-10 20:31:36

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 10 February 2005 12.59, Isaac Clerencia wrote:
> On Thursday, 10 de February de 2005 00:14, Lokheed wrote:
> > Here is a small fraction of the packges that are now available:
>
> Just FYI we create these packages in Debian from kdebase:
> libkonq4-dev, kicker, kcontrol, ksplash, klipper, kdebase-dev, kmenuedit,
> kpersonalizer, kdebase, kdepasswd, kwin, kdebase-bin, kdeprint, kappfinder,
> kdm, kdebase-data, konqueror, kfind, kdesktop, ksmserver,
> kdebase-kio-plugins, ksysguard, kate, xfonts-konsole, konqueror-nsplugins,
> kdebase-doc, khelpcenter, kpager, libkonq4, ktip, ksysguardd, konsole

And debian has historically generated far out of proportion numbers of support
issues about missing dependencies, or users not knowing what to install to
get a specific item on KDE IRC channels at least.  Oddly not really on the
mailing lists or newsgroups, I suppose people writing mail tend to direct
those to the debian lists.

Immediately noticeable with the split ebuilds, the number of gentoo users
showing up with questions shot up sharply (and equally noticeable that some
became quite aggressive when directed to ask their questions re dependencies
to Gentoo forums.)  It should be made *VERY* clear upon install that
splitting of the packages is a gentoo decision, and the gentoo packagers are
responsible for supporting the issues it causes.

I will further note that many of those package names are very odd
(kde-base/kenolaba? eh?) and will only serve to further confuse users (and
people providing support) about what comes from where, and depends on what.

Personally I think it's unmaintainable insanity, and that's talking as a
packager for a broadly similar packaging system, as well as someone who
spends some time supporting users.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts