List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Questions about splitting kdebase into a plethora of packages
From:       Lokheed <lokheed () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-02-10 21:17:44

I completely agree with you. Many of these issues are not addressed and
should have been done first. I have seen this many times were users of
Gentoo are not informed of changes or these blurbs are hidden among
countless help files. Critical system changes go changed but the end
user is most often not told about them. It becomes mind-boggling at
times trying to track down information about a certain change (why?
when? etc.)

I also agree that this will be brutal to maintain and my cries to
support one ebuild (kdebase) get answered with the common: "Its just to
much to maintain both." Which my natural thought is: "It's too hard to
maintain one extra ebuild?"

I believe the Gentoo devs are acting in their, I stress "their",
interests here. They have no listened to the concerns of the end user
and are hell bent on breaking KDE up into more than 300 ebuilds...all of
which are listed under kdebase I might add.

The biggest problem is the meta ebuilds. kde-meta will pull in every
known package of kde (including the additional packages outside of
kdebase). If a user does not want kkdemultimedia, or kdeutils, that will
break the meta ebuild and the user is forced to enter every package one
by one. Before this was solved by simply emerging kdebase but with the
split, you will now need to decipher what packages that have been split
from kdebase you will require, all the while entering them in manually,
one by one.

Among other problems, users are directed towards rude replies when asked
to submit requests to support the monolith kdebase in the future.

It has been handled very poorly and I thought I was mad for seeing
faults (the one above being critical) in the split.

 From what I have read and the replies, it appears KDE does not have
really any official stance but my main concern is the stability. I have
yet to read about stability issues in splitting up kde like this. I was
under the assumption that some components (kcontrol for example) where
critical for kde to function, but I have not read anything to disprove
or prove this.

Anyway thanks for the reply. I believe you understand the users dilemma
because you support them. Most of these devs are thinking along the
lines of programmers and we all know that the engineer has nothing in
common with the end user.

Lokheed