List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
From:       Bobby <kconfigure () rockerssoft ! com>
Date:       2005-02-10 21:04:12

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 10 February 2005 09:43, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> Definitly "Porting to Windows' shoul not be on the 4.0 roadmap.
> But what *should* be on the 4.0 roadmap, is removing any assumtions in KDE
> based on a given platform. This includes dependancies on X, on certain
> files in certain locations, etc. Anything like this should be abstracted
> into interfaces that could be re-implimented for another platform. This
> will help not only with win32 ports, but also ports to DirectFB, QNX, or
> other "weird" systems.

Considering that KDE exists to provide "a powerful Free Software graphical
desktop environment for Linux and Unix workstations..." I thing we should
take advantage of the strengths of the "Linux and Unix" enviroments.
Removing assumptions were they do not provide a specific advantage is almost
always a good thing, but when they do provide an advantage it makes no sense
to reduce the functionality of our enviroment.

Bobby

--
"It is said that the best government is that which governs least."
- Henry David Thoreau