List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Superlous configuration?
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2005-01-05 19:57:40

On Wednesday 05 January 2005 20:14, Tim Wunder wrote:
> On 1/5/2005 2:02 PM, I believe that Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> > On Wednesday 05 January 2005 19:16, Rainer Endres wrote:
> >>I do not want to configure when my computer will do a possibly time
> >>consuming operation and when it does not trash stuff but deletes it
> >>directly?
> >
> > Well, if you *really* want to worry about such details, suit yourself. As
> > far as I'm concerned, I don't want to be bothered with this stuff, I want
> > it to do the right thing and get out of my way so I can work. So do most
> > people. :-)
>
> And the right thing would be to delete the file when I tell it to delete
> it, and move it to some Trash handling mechanism if I want that.

Again : do you realize that the vast majority of users aren't able to decide
which option they want, let alone understand the difference between them ?

> Having an
> RMB menu that provides that option certainly seems logical to me. Removing
> an option for the sake of some nebulous algorithm that'll decide whether to
> delete it or move it to trash seems counter-intuitive, and almost
> MS-Windows-like.

Oh please. Millions of people do real work on Windows and OS/X-based machines
every day, and manage to do it without having to worry about "trashcan vs.
delete". So it would seem that these OSes are doing something right here.

--
      Guillaume.
      http://www.telegraph-road.org