List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Superlous configuration?
From:       Tim Wunder <tim () thewunders ! org>
Date:       2005-01-05 20:11:54

On 1/5/2005 2:57 PM, I believe that Guillaume Laurent wrote:

> On Wednesday 05 January 2005 20:14, Tim Wunder wrote:

>>>Well, if you *really* want to worry about such details, suit yourself. As
>>>far as I'm concerned, I don't want to be bothered with this stuff, I want
>>>it to do the right thing and get out of my way so I can work. So do most
>>>people. :-)
>>
>>And the right thing would be to delete the file when I tell it to delete
>>it, and move it to some Trash handling mechanism if I want that.
>

> Again : do you realize that the vast majority of users aren't able to decide
> which option they want, let alone understand the difference between them ?

Not in my experience.

>>Having an
>>RMB menu that provides that option certainly seems logical to me. Removing
>>an option for the sake of some nebulous algorithm that'll decide whether to
>>delete it or move it to trash seems counter-intuitive, and almost
>>MS-Windows-like.
>

> Oh please. Millions of people do real work on Windows and OS/X-based machines
> every day, and manage to do it without having to worry about "trashcan vs.
> delete". So it would seem that these OSes are doing something right here.

Millions of people have executed viruses and worms on Windows, have
installed gobs of spyware and other malware on their PCs and have
reinstalled Windows completely (or had someone do it for them) as a result.
Does that mean that is acceptable behavior?

What about the 90% of existing KDE users who expect to be able to choose
between deleting, and moving to trash? Are their expectations unimportant?
Should they be ignored for the alleged benefit of some inexperienced newbie
KDE user?

Developing features (or hiding them) for the sake of imaginary users should
take a back seat to enhancing the experience of the existing user base. The
ability to choose between deleting and moving to trash, via the GUI, is a
FEATURE of KDE. It's one of the things that distinguishes it from other
environments. Don't diminish that.