List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Linux/BSD distribution
From:       Uwe Thiem <uwix () iway ! na>
Date:       2004-10-26 16:33:15

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 15:27, Simone Gotti wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 October 2004 15:14, N. Thompson wrote:

> > own distribution from scratch, I was thinking about this last night and
> > personally all I think we really need to do is find a way to install
> > another great distribution, change the software to what we want and
> > update the KDE to the latest version then learn how to make packages for
> > it, include all the best KDE software, remove all the unnecessary Gnome
> > components and make it installable by CD. No distribution I can think of
> > includes great KDE software, tweaks from KDE-look.org and other stable
> > enhancements and software that hasn't made it into the official KDE
> > branch yet.
>
> You have described gentoo...

In a way, yes. Only you need a helluva lot of bandwidth to go gentoo. Not much
of deal in Europe and the US (and, maybe, Australia) but in other parts of
the world, like here in Namibia, it's a real pain to build gentoo. I know
what I am talking about because I am in the process of doing it. ;-) Learnt
to like gentoo a lot in the process, though.

On the topic of building a distribution being a lot of work, actually, that
isn't all that much if you base it on some sane one available. What is a
infuckingcredible lot of work is first to make it secure and second keep it
secure by rolling out security patches as fast as possible after holes have
been detected.

Since your distribution will be KDE-centred, I guess you are targeting the
desktop. Desktop security is different from server security. Most folks in
the Linux and BSD communities focus on server security where the system
integrity is paramount. On a workstation, why should I concern myself all
that much about the system? I have a perfect backup for it, the CDs/DVD I
have used for installation. Sure, if my file and directory permissions are
halfway sane and someone writes a worm/virus that manages to sneak into my
account, all other users' home directory are safe but *mine* is not. The
little sucker can still erase *my* home directory and that is where all my
valuable data resides.

Making it next to impossible for a malicious piece of software to muddle the
user's data *and* keeping the convenience of modern (GUI) apps means you
really have cut out your work for yourself. ;-) And keeping it that way
through updates and security patches will keep you busy for a long time.
Something like eternity or, at least, close to it. Which, as Rowan Atkinson
said, is a heck of a long time. ;-)

I am not saying it can't be done. I am just saying it needs a lot of qualified
labour to do all the work. Welcome to the club!

Uwe

--
Alternative phrasing of the First Law of Thermodynamics:
If you eat it, and you don't burn it off, you'll sit on it.

http://www.uwix.iway.na (last updated: 20.06.2004)