List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Linux/BSD distribution
From:       Christoph Wiesen <chris () deadhand ! com>
Date:       2004-10-26 19:00:54

Hello,

I really think Debian is the best start for such a project. And the Kalyxo
efforts will be of more help building a KDE-centric distribution than you
could ask for.
Sure I would like to say that Ark Linux or something similar would be the way
to go, but reinventing the wheel over and over again can be a very
overwhelming task. I don't think ark is bad by any means (though it has it's
controversies like the thing they do (did?) with root because of the
Windows-like nature) just that it's much-more work than what would be needed
to build THE KDE Desktop.

I'd say with enough people (not that much at all I think) and enthusiasm the
Kalyxo team could produce a really great Debian KDE Desktop that installs
from CD very quick (Live CD or Debian-Installer). All the necessary desktop
components would come from the Kalyxo specific CD and the user still can use
thousands of well tested server like packages from debian - like samba and
nfs and so on, that are of use on most home desktops as well but don't have
to be re-done by the same team that does the desktop).

I'm very much in the same situation as the thread starter - I'd love to see
this happen and really would like to do something about it. It's just that I
don't have all the knowledge I want to and i learn some things slower than
I'd like to.
Ok right now time is a problem as well, but that will be ok in a month. But
then what? It's really intimidating to think about creating a whole
installation CD / knoppix version (not the best solution) even if I know
exactly what I would want... KDE / Debian / Kalyxo ... all these elements
would be part, yet fitting them together... well, it's really overwhelming.
But we will see, maybe I will learn how to create kde debs that have some
settings altered to saner defaults out of the box... meaning that everyone
who installs from those debs will get a default configuration of Konqueror
where there are no copy, paste, print icons on the toolbar and that uses
Plastik as the default theme.

Those two are just simple examples, but that's what i will have to learn - how
make those the fixed defaults and not a per-user setting (it would be
changeable of course, just as it is now - just another default).

Ok, I'm going off topic here it seems.
Anyway if enough people with interests like this get together it should be
possible to have something usable in a real short time. To me it always seems
important to focus on having a _useable_ system for as long or as often as
possible. By that i mean that it should not be necessary to reach absolute
perection and have 100% of your goals fullfilled until the public can access
the work. If it's done right and in small steps imo that's the best thing -
because the base is already there (debian) all it needs is some polish.

Cheers,
Chris