List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: moving windows outside destop boundaries
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2004-09-16 9:57:43

On Tuesday 14 of September 2004 03:52, Alex wrote:
> > No, it's intentional that you now cannot move a window in such a way
> > that you'd be unable to move it back the same way
>
> On M$ windows, you can move the titlebar up to the point where only a
> single line of pixels is left at the top, so you can always
> move a window back.
> Why is this a problem for KDE ? I'm using my old KDE 3.1 right now
> and there's no way I can make the titlebar completely gone if I move a
> window by the titlebar, so there is no problem to begin with!

 Piece of cake. Just place your Kicker at the top edge, or use the standalone
menubar (#22606). That said, if you can't make the titlebar completely gone
if you move a window by the titlebar, why is then a problem that KWin
prevents you from doing something that you say you can't do anyway?

> > Use Alt+LMB or any other way which doesn't depend on the titlebar
>
> There is no other way. Even right click on the bottom border, and
> selecting "Move" from the menu does not allow me to cross the top desktop
> barrier!

 Hmm. There are certain technical difficulties finding out how a menuentry was
actually activated.

> Only pressing ALT works. It's very annoying to have to reach for the
> keyboard to move a window in the way I need! This the first time ever a
> window manager is imposing this!
> KDE 3.1 was perfect in terms of moving windows, I don't understand why
> spoil a good thing like that in KDE 3.2 ! Please consider reverting to the
> good old behavior that is supported by all other window managers and all
> KDE versions before 3.2

 So I should also dump focus stealing prevention just because it's not the
goold old behavior that is supported by all other window managers and all KDE
versions before 3.2?

> > now of course since one cannot please everyone there are other complains
>
> How about offering an option in the control panel window behavior to
> disable this "feature". That would be a way please everyone !

 I guess I could, most probably in the "Actions" dialog. Nobody is going to
notice one more option there anyway.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer