List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde 3.3 / konqueror / css / font parsing
From:       Thomas =?iso-8859-1?q?L=FCbking?= <thomas.luebking () web ! de>
Date:       2004-08-31 20:07:56

On Tuesday 31 August 2004 21:31, Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> I think the function does the only sensible thing, namely to recheck for
> appropriate style sheets. For all the function nows, the entire directory
> structure might have changed in the meantime. If called in rapid
> succession, disk caches will ensure reasonable quick response. Besides,
> local disk queries for maybe 10 files (max!) shouldn't take long --- on a
> local disk.

life is just a couple of nanoseconds...
in fact - it's not *that* slow ;)

> I like the handling of protocol --- it's exactly right.
> I do not like the ~/.userCSS thing, unless we can point at a standard, and
> even so, we should symlink to/from a ~/.kde/config/... directory structure.
> Otherwise, principle of least surprise would be violated.

i (slightly) rewrote the code to handle domains as well (i.e. www.kde.org
-> ./org/kde/www)
reason: i noticed that my freemailer uses several subdomians
(server1.freemailer.tld, server2.freemailer.tld, ...) though this is not
really a problem in this particular case, it could happen on other services
as well
the path ~/.userCSS is not hard to change - rather to
"~/.kde/share/apps/khtml/userCSS" ?

> > oh, btw:
> > do you know how to diff directories without getting those "only in..."
> > messages? (couldn't get that out of the manpage)
>
> --new-file or -N: In  directory  comparison,  if a file is found in only
> one directory, treat it as present but empty in the other
>               directory.

i thought that would cause the whole file to be included into the patch??!?!

> We need a frontend and/or a manual addition. I would not be adverse to
> write either, but let's hear some more thoughts of the code, if any.

there are two possible things to use:
1. toolbutton that allows you to check
[] use my fonts
[] use my colors
[] for whole domain

to just make stuff readable

2. right click an item, say "chage appereance of this item type" and open a
more complex css editor with the appropriate settings (i.e. tag: div, class:
myClass)

> It's probably slightly more efficient to append than to prepend string,
> though it depends on QStrings implementation, which I don't know offhand.

prepending was easier to use - if i can make use of append without getting
much more complex code, i'll try to do so.

Thomas
--
Think, think different. But essentially: Think!