List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde 3.3 / konqueror / css / font parsing
From:       Esben Mose Hansen <esben () mosehansen ! dk>
Date:       2004-08-31 20:37:03

On Tuesday 31 August 2004 20:07, Thomas Lübking wrote:

> On Tuesday 31 August 2004 21:31, Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> > I think the function does the only sensible thing, namely to recheck for
> > appropriate style sheets. For all the function nows, the entire directory
> > structure might have changed in the meantime. If called in rapid
> > succession, disk caches will ensure reasonable quick response. Besides,
> > local disk queries for maybe 10 files (max!) shouldn't take long --- on a
> > local disk.
>
> life is just a couple of nanoseconds...
> in fact - it's not *that* slow ;)

Exactly :)

> > I like the handling of protocol --- it's exactly right.
> > I do not like the ~/.userCSS thing, unless we can point at a standard,
> > and even so, we should symlink to/from a ~/.kde/config/... directory
> > structure. Otherwise, principle of least surprise would be violated.
>
> i (slightly) rewrote the code to handle domains as well (i.e. www.kde.org
> -> ./org/kde/www)
> reason: i noticed that my freemailer uses several subdomians
> (server1.freemailer.tld, server2.freemailer.tld, ...) though this is not
> really a problem in this particular case, it could happen on other services
> as well
> the path ~/.userCSS is not hard to change - rather to
> "~/.kde/share/apps/khtml/userCSS" ?

Yes, something like this, but the KDE guys can tell ud for sure. Keep it
in .userCSS for now; it's easier when testing in any case :-D

> > > oh, btw:
> > > do you know how to diff directories without getting those "only in..."
> > > messages? (couldn't get that out of the manpage)
> >
> > --new-file or -N: In  directory  comparison,  if a file is found in only
> > one directory, treat it as present but empty in the other
> >               directory.
>
> i thought that would cause the whole file to be included into the
> patch??!?!

Sorry, I thought that was what you wanted. Sorry, I don't know anything short
of
diff -ur  1 2 | egrep -v "^Only in .*:"

> > We need a frontend and/or a manual addition. I would not be adverse to
> > write either, but let's hear some more thoughts of the code, if any.
>
> there are two possible things to use:
> 1. toolbutton that allows you to check
> [] use my fonts
> [] use my colors
> [] for whole domain
>
> to just make stuff readable
>
> 2. right click an item, say "chage appereance of this item type" and open a
> more complex css editor with the appropriate settings (i.e. tag: div,
> class: myClass)

3. A listbox with custom stylesheet; doubleclick to edit, and a remove, add
and delete button. Easy, and powerful.

1 is not easy with a stylesheet, and 2 is a medium project in and of itself
(but cool, I admit)

> > It's probably slightly more efficient to append than to prepend string,
> > though it depends on QStrings implementation, which I don't know offhand.
>
> prepending was easier to use - if i can make use of append without getting
> much more complex code, i'll try to do so.

Just a though --- it seemed to be easily reorderable to appending, but I
didn't look deeply into it. Just nitpick...

P.S: Can I get your newest patch somewhere? :o)

- --
regards, Esben

Homepage: http://www.mosehansen.dk
Signature fingerprint at http://www.mosehansen.dk/about