List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [HELP] [Fwd: [kde-linux] Unicode]
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2004-05-26 23:47:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>I can't answer this.
>
>IIUC, there isn't any place in KDE to set the default encoding -- at
> least I can't find it in the Control Center.
>
>Perhaps this feature is needed.
>
>So, is the default encoding set in a UNIX environment variable?  If
> this is the case, could someone please point me to some good
> documentation?

and:
>Having installed SuSE 9.1 with KDE 3.03 a few days ago, I
>found out that now all iso-8859-1 characters are represented
>in 16 bit Unicode. Is there any possibility to return to the
>old 8 bit representation?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help,
>Wolfgang

KDE uses the system global encoding through the LANG and LC_* variables.
I don't know how it behaves in case a conflicting set is used.

In any event, KDE and Qt applications in general ALWAYS represent
characters internally with their 16-bit representation. So, what you
are asking (literally) is impossible unless you go back to KDE 1.x.

Now, what you want is not what you asked. You probably have some files
that were encoded in ISO-8859-1 and/or their filenames and your new
system is using UTF-8 -- or vice-versa. Changing LANG should help that,
but my recommendation is that you stay UTF-8 and convert your files (or

What's more, please upgrade to KDE 3.2.2.
--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info