List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Problem building KDEMultimedia
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-07-08 7:35:15

Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Monday 07 July 2003 11:46 pm, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>Benjamin Meyer wrote:

>>>`/home/CVS/kde3.main/kdemultimedia/kaudiocreator'
>>>[snip]

>>>[snip]
>>>
>>>cdconfigimp.* doesn't even exist in CVS (HEAD) anymore for the last few
>>>months.  Update your cvs.
>>>
>>>- -Benjamin Meyer
>>
>>And today's 'Arogrant Developer" Award goes to: Benjamin Meyer. :-)
>>
>>Who said anything about HEAD or CVS?  I didn't.
>>

> No, but you didn't specify that you were building KDE_3_1_BRANCH either.

No, but didn't I say that the header was the problem?  He didn't even
carefully read my whole posting -- just jumped to confusions to say that I
was all wrong.

>>The issue is a Kernel 2.4.21 header file issue.
>>
>>--
>>JRT
>

> And today's "Arrogant User" Award goes to: James Richard Tyrer :-)

Did I ever claim that I wasn't?  Well actually I said that I was a smart ass.

> Actually, the issue would be that you messed up your install of glibc because
> you made /usr/include/asm a symlink to /usr/src/linux/include/asm which is
> wrong.

I can see that this is the cause of the problem.  However the GNU
instructions and the GLibc configure script do not state this.  The
configure script checks to see if you have links for stuff that shouldn't
be linked in the: "/usr/include" directory.

Yes I know that there is a controversy about this -- about how old your
Kernel headers should be.

>  other than recompiling your whole system.

Geeeeez I hope not.  I used the old header, the one that I compiled GLibc
with and it appears to work.

>  I don't think recompiling glibc with the new headers will do much good. :(

I can't get it to build.  Very odd. :-|

> p.s. not trying to flame, just poke a little fun. :)

Yes, so was I.

--
JRT