List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Generating PDF's in kword: font problems
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2003-01-31 14:15:38

On Monday 27 January 2003 13:31, Unai Garro wrote:
|  Yes, I tried them, but as I said, the fonts are embedded in bitmap format
|  (Type 3) anyway, so the quality is not really good. I tried to increase
|  the resolution of the fonts to 2400dpi and this improves a bit the result,
|  but the difference with Type1 fonts is immense.
|
|  As far as you don't use ttf fonts there's no problem. You can easily use
|  fonts such as "Times" (Type1), but not "Times New Roman" or "Verdana" or
|  "Arial",... etc which are ttf.

I have somewhere Type1 variants of Arial and Times New Roman (made by me, for
*testing purposes*), I can send you those in private mail.

IMO, Type1 fonts suit much better current KDE/Linux printing model
(GhostScript, etc.). Better avoid using TrueType fonts.
Good alternative to Type1 fonts are OpenType fonts (.otf), but unfotunately
Qt-3.1 can't embed those fonts in generated PS/PDF files.
They are rendered fine on screen, though.

|  So far I can oly think of two solutions:
|
|  1) Add a printer menu: "Convert all fonts to Type1", with a list of fonts
|  that more or less accurately replace those fonts.

BTW: you can do that with PfaEdit

|  2) Indicate in the font selection combo if the fonts are ttf or type1 (or
|  whatever else)

Or you can install Type1 fonts only.

--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released