List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Generating PDF's in kword: font problems
From:       Unai Garro <uga () ee ! ed ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2003-01-27 21:22:52

Mmm... adding the font path to qt's configuration has the same effect: it
embeds type3 fonts in the pdf file which results in undesirable quality.

As it seems that people doesn't understand what's the actual problem, I'll
share these files for a while:

1) a screenshot of kword with those nice fonts
http://www.see.ed.ac.uk/~uga/shot.png

2)The PDF file created under kword. The fonts are selected to be EMBEDDED.
http://www.see.ed.ac.uk/~uga/print.pdf

3) A screenshot of the pdf file, in case someone doesn't have Acrobat Reader
installed.
http://www.see.ed.ac.uk/~uga/shot2.png

If you see the pdf file under ghostview/kghostview it looks ok, but try to
open it under Acrobat Reader, and you'll see what I mean. See File->Document
Properties->Fonts for more info on the file.

!!!!

Now, thanks to you I found this:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Font-HOWTO/x346.html

I didn't know that it was possible to actually convert ttf fonts to type 1,
but it seems to be indeed (I haven't tried yet)

This has a few drawbacks I guess:

1) You need to convert the fonts to Type1 first

2) One has to choose the proper one in kword (not ttf that looks ok....)