List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror startup timed (Was: Re: RFC: Startup speed of
From:       Manuel Amador <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2002-12-13 23:54:33

> I agree. Letting the user know imidiately that "yes, I know you asked me to
> do something, I'm working on it" is important for the percieved speed of an
> application.
> If an app starts animating an image, writes a message in a statusbar or
> something similar as the *very first* thing it does as soon as it registers
> user input, then the user wil percieve that application as being "fast".
> If the app just starts doing it's thing, and then when it's done tell the
> user that "now I'm done" - even if both applications took the exact same
> time to get from start to finish, the first app will likely be percieved as
> being faster than the second one.
Yes.  And no, it's of no use.  Because it's not just a question of "how
fast" it feels.  It's a question of "how fast" it is against the
competition.  When you've worked with Windows Explorer, Konqueror takes
ages.  And most people will be able to compare, no matter how many
blinking lights you build into Konqueror.