List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror startup timed (Was: Re: RFC: Startup speed of Konqueror cvs HEAD - benchmark)
From:       Alexander Neundorf <alexander.neundorf () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-12-16 20:51:53

On Saturday 14 December 2002 01:41, Manuel Amador wrote:
> > I agree. Letting the user know imidiately that "yes, I know you asked me
> > to do something, I'm working on it" is important for the percieved speed
> > of an application.
> > If an app starts animating an image, writes a message in a statusbar or
> > something similar as the *very first* thing it does as soon as it
> > registers user input, then the user wil percieve that application as
> > being "fast". If the app just starts doing it's thing, and then when it's
> > done tell the user that "now I'm done" - even if both applications took
> > the exact same time to get from start to finish, the first app will
> > likely be percieved as being faster than the second one.
>
> Yes.  And no, it's of no use.  Because it's not just a question of "how
> fast" it feels.  It's a question of "how fast" it is against the
> competition.  When you've worked with Windows Explorer, Konqueror takes
> ages.  And most people will be able to compare, no matter how many
> blinking lights you build into Konqueror.

I have to disagree.
Since two months I have to work with windows at work and since one month on a
P4/2.2 GHz Win 2000.
At home I have KDE 3, Athlon XP 2000.
IE doesn't start significant faster than konqy, if at all (neither does
mozilla), and Win 2000 takes ages until it is loaded (1.45 win2K against 45
seconds boot+kde).
And a very fast feedback really helps making the app feel faster.
I actually like the MacOS X panel-feature, where the icon starts to "jump" if
you click it to start an app. It takes maybe 3 or 5 seconds until the jumping
has finished, and in the meantime the app usually has loaded and you are
still looking at this nice jumping icon :-)
But I guess this effect doesn't last very long.

Bye
Alex