List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror startup timed (Was: Re: RFC: Startup speed of Konqueror cvs HEAD - benchmark)
From:       Jesper Juhl <jju () dif ! dk>
Date:       2002-12-07 0:32:22

James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> Roger Larsson wrote:
>
>> CACHED               NOT CACHED
>> time until app.exec()                        1.9 s           10.9 s
>> parts
>>   to got into main()                 0.4 s            3.0 s
>>   the line "KonquerorApplication app;"       0.4 s            4.0 s
>>   kio stuff                          0.9 s            1.3 s
>>
>> If we could delay some work (really wait time) in the uncached case to
>> after app.exec() is called - it would be perceived as (and in reality be)
>> much faster...
>
> This -- being perceived as being faster -- is more important than some
> think.  It is a point that I have tried to make before.
>
> My assertion is that KDE appears slow because there are pauses between
> clicking something and something happening.  Yes, I know that lots of
> stuff is actually happening but nothing *appears* to happen.
>
> With Konqueror, you start it up and "nothing happens" till after a
> significant pause..  If it were possible for the frame and menu bar to
> come up almost immediately, it would be perceived as being faster --
> probably even if it was slightly slower.

I agree. Letting the user know imidiately that "yes, I know you asked me to
do something, I'm working on it" is important for the percieved speed of an
application.
If an app starts animating an image, writes a message in a statusbar or
something similar as the *very first* thing it does as soon as it registers
user input, then the user wil percieve that application as being "fast".
If the app just starts doing it's thing, and then when it's done tell the
user that "now I'm done" - even if both applications took the exact same
time to get from start to finish, the first app will likely be percieved as
being faster than the second one.

Just my 0.02euro

/Jesper Juhl