List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system
From:       "Luke Chatburn" <lchatburn () isset ! org>
Date:       2002-12-07 0:13:38

Hi all...

I for one, do use my desktop to store essential documents/images/etc. while
they are in use in my current project, and then file them away later. I also
add a few shortcuts, although I have found that with an 80% width kicker
with my essential program icons and a top taskbar, application launching is
covered very well.

My home directory is used as the root of my storage for completed tasks and
contains principally a number of directories:

-Documents
-Downloads
-Images
-Music

I don't currently have mail stored in a Mail directory in there, but it
seems sensible.

I also have these as icons in the file selector as shortcuts on the left
(big thanks to whomever wrote that in... It's great! It's always annoyed me
that I couldn't do that in Windows...).

Down to the key point of this message: I wish to pose a question.

*If the desktop is not to contain user data nor program icons (since kicker
and the K menu do this), then what is it to be used for?*

I do find it questionable to suppose that because windows and MacOS/OSX are
tending toward an empty desktop, this is somehow an ideal objective. It is
valuable UI space, and should be used for something. I do appreciate a nice
background, the same as anyone else, but that is not sufficient reason, in
my opinion to waste prime space, which is so ideal for adding icons or data
that gives exceptionally easy access for the user. Most especially for new
users, who like to use it as they would, the 'top of a desk'.

Has anyone played with PocketPC (Windows CE 3) very much? The front of the
UI is the 'Today page', which holds mail notifications, appointments, tasks,
news, system status and other items (depending on installed plugins for the
last few of those). This is what M$ want's to do with Longhorn and look to
be about to stuff up.

Oh... Minor thought... (Huge programming task). In Konqy, a sidebar can be
collapsed against the side and dragged back out again. Mozilla does the same
thing with its sidebar. What about having a browsing window that does the
same for the desktop. You get a small tag on the left hand side or
something, you click it, and the file manager springs out for half the
screen, like a tray, therefore adding a little more freedom.

-Luke Chatburn
(More thoughts on filesystems tomorrow.... bedtime :) )