List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: FAM and 3.1rc3
From:       Manuel Amador <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2002-11-29 17:21:39

El jue, 28-11-2002 a las 03:46, Michael Kreitzer escribió:
> I've noticed with FAM enabled in kde 3.1rc3 none of the io slaves seem to
> realize when fam is inappropriate... I got stuck with an unresponsive system
> until I figured out FAM was using 100% cpu while KDE tried to use it over 3
> sftp connections and 2 smb connections.... this should not happen.  My
> question is... is this a KDE bug or a FAM bug or a FAM misconfiguration on my
> part?

Oh, and FAM causes millions of updates on a local open directory with
Konqueror, just when I retag an MP3/Ogg file with EasyTAG.  After it's
finished tagging, Konqueror keeps flickering like mad for 10 seconds and
I can't use any other Konqueror windows.  Disabling service sgi-fam in
xinetd does the trick, and Konqueror updates directories again, at a
sane speed.  But isn't fam supposed to help performance by reducing
reads to find out whether an element has changed?