List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system
From:       Troels Tolstrup <troels () tolstrup ! org>
Date:       2002-11-29 17:26:52

On Fredag den 29. november 2002 17:56, Julien Olivier wrote:
> Le Vendredi 29 Novembre 2002 18:37, Manuel Amador a écrit :
> > Did you read?
> >
> > Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system
> > http://evolvedoo.sourceforge.net/abstract/index.html
> >
> > ?
> >
> > Seems a good read!
>
> I submitted two bugs: one to get kmail's default folder to .mail and
> one to have the desktop path as ~/ by default.
>
> 5 minutes after having posted those wishes, they were closed
> "WONTFIX".
>
> Sadly, there's no hope to see KDE developers listen to users soon I
> believe...

Well, i believe im a user too, even though im a programmer.

I think it was an interesting read, but i still think the idea is
flawed.

Abstracting the filessytem is a good idea, but i do not like the $HOME
is desktop idea at all. Try finding something on the desktop while you
have serveral programs open. Or do you actually expect one to minimize
their windows, or make sure they dont occupy the entire desktop?

I think a much better solution would be to hide everything below $HOME
by default, but have easy access shortcuts in relevant places so its
still easy to go to /. (and of course an option to turn it off for
those of us who actually think the unix file system is superior to
everything else out there that we have seen, and who just want to see
it as it is)

This way you don't force working in a specific way on the user, and you
don't have to deal with all the problems that storing things on the
desktop gives, not to mention that a lot of people prefer having an
empty desktop.

Do you think it was without reason that microsoft decided to go away
from accessing things from the desktop after having used it since 95?
(a deafult windows xp only got a trashcan on the desktop, everything
else, like my documents, is accessed through the start menu). I
unfortunately can't find a reference (I trashed my article archive by
mistake :( ), but there have been some studies indicating that the
entire desktop metaphore didnt work out in reality, and this alone
suggests that one should be careful to push it too hard before it has
been thoroughly tested as it is a major change.

Mvh
Troels