List:       kde-devel
Subject:    UTF-8 in Konqueror and path names
From:       Manuel Amador <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2002-11-29 17:18:58

Heyall,

I just installed Red Hat 8, and being a spanish speaking user, some of
my folders have accented characters.  Passing through the trouble of
renaming all my files (a bash script together with iconv does the job)
and retaggging all of my MP3s (OGG vorbis have no such trouble), I found
out I can't browse to my Música (Music) folder.  Trying to enter the
folder works fine, but trying to enter a subfolder tells me "No such
directory  /home/Msica/Ace of Base"  (if you don't like Ace of Base,
don't tell me, just don't listen to it).  The same happens if I try to
enter /home/Música through a symlink (which works fine by cd'ing into it
in a konsole window).

I mean, I can't trigger it deterministically, but I can trigger it
several times in a day.  I know it worked perfectly with ISO-8859-1.
But being that Unicode should be fairly well supported by now, I would
consider this a bug.

is that fixed?  Any german-speaking (of course) user tried Unicode
pathnames while using an Unicode locale and seen if it fails?  Most of
the people here most surely have Latin-x locales in their environment in
effect, so Konqueror won't fail.

luck,

         Rudd-O