List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: svg crystal?
From:       Nikolas Zimmermann <wildfox () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-11-16 18:20:13

On Saturday 16 November 2002 16:32, Vadim Plessky wrote:
[...]
> Take SVG sources - available form here:
> http://freetype.newmail.ru/svg/BlueSphere-0.2.1.tar.bz2
> You can get an idea how those SVG files look like from pre-rendered in
> pixmap format icons (see http://svgicons.sourceforge.net for details)

Ok, that's a start. Will look at it soon...

> As about bugs - they were reported to you, and to
> <ksvg-devel@kde.org> address at kde.org (which I believe you read as well)
> If you don't read mails to that address - well, than I really have nothing
> to tell, except that this should be fixed, too.

Ok, ksvg-devel issues: I have no clue what happens: no-one
can register anymore (at least 3 people told me).
Coolo?

> Besides, I am subscribed to almost all KDE mailing lists, and it was really
> hard to miss SVG-related discussions on kde-artists, -devel, etc. mailing
> lists.

I don't read those lists carefully..

> As we started clarification about KSVG anyway, I have a few more concerns:
> a) there is no KSVG (or SVG-related) mailing list on kde.org
> I though that  <ksvg-devel@kde.org> is a mailing list, but realized that
> it's not. (try to sens a message to <ksvg-devel-request@kde.org>)

It's broken. The KSVG mailinglist exists for a year now...

> b) there is no roadmap for KSVG, no release notes, and *no releases*.
> You just can't download "latest stable" or "latest unstable" tarball and
> compile it, not speaking about binary RPMs for KSVG, neither for Mandrake
> nor SuSE.

I've prepared tarballs, the latest working one is linked to svg.kde.org.
Ouch, i'm just realizing that wildfox.physos.info is broken.
Thanks for reporting...

Anyone to help out with some webspace?

> c)  ksvg.kde.org is tend to be updated not very often, and people visiting
> that page get impression that KSVG is not maintained.

svg.kde.org is updated, if there is something to say/report. If not, we
just code.

> So, people just get pissed of and go away, instead of helping with further
> development of SVG.
You are the first to say so.

> d) Google doesn't return hits to KSVG if you search for SVG (or SVG Icons).
> There are few hits which refer to discussion on dot.kde.org in Feb.2002,
> that's basically all.

"gg:SVG kde" would do it. The first hit is KSVG.

> And links to your personal KSVG-related page are broken, those pages do not
> exist.
wildfox.physos.info is broken yes. Rob's page not.

> After release of my BlueSphere icon theme (on Freshmeat and SourceForge), i
> received a few mails from people who were *surprised* (!!) to hear about
> SVG support in KDE.
That's ok. Non-beta, non-alpha, just release users don't follow the
development between the releases. How can they know?

But I've got somthing to say, too:
I bet you know all this since quite some weeks. _One_ personal mail would have
been enough, no? You know that I'm the svg-icon-engine-guy, if something is
wrong, hey, ask me, I'm glad to help.

Bye
 Bye
  Niko