List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: svg crystal?
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-11-16 15:32:59

On Saturday 16 November 2002 3:05 pm, Nikolas Zimmermann wrote:
|  On Saturday 16 November 2002 08:41, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|
|  [...]
|  > Dom Lachowicz (current maintainer of librsvg2) was able most of bugs I
|  > reported to him(against librsvg-2.1.x) within a week.
|
|  I never ever received a single bugreport from you.
|  So what _could_ I do?

Take SVG sources - available form here:
http://freetype.newmail.ru/svg/BlueSphere-0.2.1.tar.bz2
You can get an idea how those SVG files look like from pre-rendered in pixmap
format icons (see http://svgicons.sourceforge.net for details)

As about bugs - they were reported to you, and to
<ksvg-devel@kde.org> address at kde.org (which I believe you read as well)
If you don't read mails to that address - well, than I really have nothing to
tell, except that this should be fixed, too.

Besides, I am subscribed to almost all KDE mailing lists, and it was really
hard to miss SVG-related discussions on kde-artists, -devel, etc. mailing
lists.

As we started clarification about KSVG anyway, I have a few more concerns:
a) there is no KSVG (or SVG-related) mailing list on kde.org
I though that  <ksvg-devel@kde.org> is a mailing list, but realized that it's
not. (try to sens a message to <ksvg-devel-request@kde.org>)
b) there is no roadmap for KSVG, no release notes, and *no releases*.
You just can't download "latest stable" or "latest unstable" tarball and
compile it, not speaking about binary RPMs for KSVG, neither for Mandrake nor
SuSE.
c)  ksvg.kde.org is tend to be updated not very often, and people visiting
that page get impression that KSVG is not maintained.
So, people just get pissed of and go away, instead of helping with further
development of SVG.
d) Google doesn't return hits to KSVG if you search for SVG (or SVG Icons).
There are few hits which refer to discussion on dot.kde.org in Feb.2002,
that's basically all.
And links to your personal KSVG-related page are broken, those pages do not
exist.

After release of my BlueSphere icon theme (on Freshmeat and SourceForge), i
received a few mails from people who were *surprised* (!!) to hear about SVG
support in KDE.
They we asking me wether (and why :-) I think that KDE would support SVG,
mentioning that Mozilla's SVG is somewaht stagnating, etc.

If we wnat to attract new users (and new developers) to KDE, and to Linux
Desktop in general - we should estabilish connection to existing users, and
actively recruit new users.
If you have different vision for this problem - pls share it now, here.

|  - --
|  Nikolas Zimmermann

Cheers,
--