List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: svg crystal?
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-11-17 11:12:56

On Saturday 16 November 2002 9:20 pm, Nikolas Zimmermann wrote:
|  On Saturday 16 November 2002 16:32, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  [...]
|
|  > Take SVG sources - available form here:
|  > http://freetype.newmail.ru/svg/BlueSphere-0.2.1.tar.bz2
|  > You can get an idea how those SVG files look like from pre-rendered in
|  > pixmap format icons (see http://svgicons.sourceforge.net for details)
|
|  Ok, that's a start. Will look at it soon...

Thanks!

|  > As about bugs - they were reported to you, and to
|  > <ksvg-devel@kde.org> address at kde.org (which I believe you read as
|  > well) If you don't read mails to that address - well, than I really have
|  > nothing to tell, except that this should be fixed, too.
|
|  Ok, ksvg-devel issues: I have no clue what happens: no-one
|  can register anymore (at least 3 people told me).
|  Coolo?

AFAIK, it's just some alias, not a maling list.
Shouldn't we make a Mailing List out of it?

|  > Besides, I am subscribed to almost all KDE mailing lists, and it was
|  > really hard to miss SVG-related discussions on kde-artists, -devel, etc.
|  > mailing lists.
|
|  I don't read those lists carefully..

ok.

|  > As we started clarification about KSVG anyway, I have a few more
|  > concerns: a) there is no KSVG (or SVG-related) mailing list on kde.org
|  > I though that  <ksvg-devel@kde.org> is a mailing list, but realized that
|  > it's not. (try to sens a message to <ksvg-devel-request@kde.org>)
|
|  It's broken. The KSVG mailinglist exists for a year now...

Ok, I see. Let's fix it than!

|  > b) there is no roadmap for KSVG, no release notes, and *no releases*.
|  > You just can't download "latest stable" or "latest unstable" tarball and
|  > compile it, not speaking about binary RPMs for KSVG, neither for
|  > Mandrake nor SuSE.
|
|  I've prepared tarballs, the latest working one is linked to svg.kde.org.
|  Ouch, i'm just realizing that wildfox.physos.info is broken.
|  Thanks for reporting...

:-)

|  Anyone to help out with some webspace?
|
|  > c)  ksvg.kde.org is tend to be updated not very often, and people
|  > visiting that page get impression that KSVG is not maintained.
|
|  svg.kde.org is updated, if there is something to say/report. If not, we
|  just code.
|
|  > So, people just get pissed of and go away, instead of helping with
|  > further development of SVG.
|
|  You are the first to say so.

Well, I think that was obvious.  And I really heard comments like that
(off-list, of course)
We should keep Mailing List active, tarballs uploaded (regulary), new versions
announced on Freshmeat (and apps.kde.com).
Than new users will come, together with developers.

I found that hosting on SourceForge suits this quite well.
That's why I regitered SvgIcons at SourceForge, as SF project.

|  > d) Google doesn't return hits to KSVG if you search for SVG (or SVG
|  > Icons). There are few hits which refer to discussion on dot.kde.org in
|  > Feb.2002, that's basically all.
|
|  "gg:SVG kde" would do it. The first hit is KSVG.

but gg:SVG icons would bring up GNOME-specific pages (Nautilus, etc.)

|  > And links to your personal KSVG-related page are broken, those pages do
|  > not exist.
|
|  wildfox.physos.info is broken yes. Rob's page not.

Rob is always around, so I even don't need to launch his page to know what he
is cooking ;-)
BTW:  I enjoy checking latest Karbon14 screenshots

|  > After release of my BlueSphere icon theme (on Freshmeat and
|  > SourceForge), i received a few mails from people who were *surprised*
|  > (!!) to hear about SVG support in KDE.
|
|  That's ok. Non-beta, non-alpha, just release users don't follow the
|  development between the releases. How can they know?

Mailing lists?  Announce of Freshmeat?
It seems kde-artists list is somewhat dead at a moment, so it's not a good
place to announce new graphics-related work.
But KSVG is on-topic on kde-devel, kfm-devel (if we speak about bindings to
Konq), plus there is <kde-cafe> around where you can discuss (almost)
everything.
If we speak about SVG drawings embeddable as clipart - Koffice and
Kofice-devel lists are ok, too.

|  But I've got somthing to say, too:
|  I bet you know all this since quite some weeks. _One_ personal mail would
| have been enough, no? You know that I'm the svg-icon-engine-guy, if
| something is wrong, hey, ask me, I'm glad to help.

I tried. Haven't you received any e-mails from me?
Than I greatly apologize.  Probably, some ISP(s) between us eated those mails.

--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons