List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Manual Autocompletion
From:       "Jonathan Bacon" <j.bacon () delta ! wlv ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2002-01-17 16:12:16

> i do not have an answer, but instead a suggestion that i think ought
> to be employed for autocompletion functions throughout kde: that it
> be, simply, <tab> when the cursor is in the text box where
> autocompletion is sought. this produces consistency with the command
> prompt, and avoids the unwanted list boxes produced in konqueror, in
> kmail, and even in the "open with" application selection dialog. the
> idea being that the list of choices would not appear until <tab> is
> pressed; if there is just one choice, then autocompletion would take
> place. yes, <tab> is usually used for other purposes at this point,
> but this does not necessarily mean an inconsistency -- for instance,
> as i write this note, i can hit <tab> all day long and never leave
> the text entry box in kmail. the function of <tab> in konqueror and
> other autocompletion boxes now is kind of flaky; having
> autocompletion not be invoked until tab is hit would bring
> consistency and would make autocompletion useful to those of us who
> currently curse it.

I seem to remember some discussion on the use of tab for completion a
while back, and some people were concerned that it conflicted with
controlling focus.

I think we should definitly have some kind of standard automcompletion
ruleset throughout KDE, and I am sure this can be done at library level.

       Jono