List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Manual Autocompletion
From:       dep <dep () drippingwithirony ! com>
Date:       2002-01-17 16:28:19

On Thursday 17 January 2002 11:12, Jonathan Bacon wrote:

| I seem to remember some discussion on the use of tab for completion
| a while back, and some people were concerned that it conflicted
| with controlling focus.

yeah, i wondered about this, so i tried it on konqueror -- and all
tab does is scroll through the list of choices. my thought it that an
initial tab ought to be needed before that list is produced at all.
in the application listing where the mimetype isn't tied to a
particular app, tab does move focus around, but to no particularly
good purpose, and in any case it's inconsistent -- the arrow keys now
are used to scroll among the choices. and in kmail the list appears
whether you want it or not, as with the others, but the tab function
is unchanged, as with the application selection dialog -- a
particularly odd behavior, in that to be of any use, messages have to
be to *someone.*

| I think we should definitly have some kind of standard
| automcompletion ruleset throughout KDE, and I am sure this can be
| done at library level.

makes sense to me, and again, i think that <tab> ought to be it; at
that point, changing focus isn't much of an issue -- and it would be
consistent with the linux command prompt, which is a desirable
feature. and please, please, please, let *some* initial keystroke (to
underline it yet again, <tab> makes the most sense) invoke the
autocompletion or autocompletion choices, rather than having them
simply appear, unsummoned.
--
dep

There is sobbing of the strong,