List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Manual Autocompletion
From:       dep <dep () drippingwithirony ! com>
Date:       2002-01-17 14:55:36

On Wednesday 16 January 2002 14:01, Pam R wrote:
| How does manual mode autocompletion in the Konqueror file manager
| work? I've been playing with it (cvs from a few days ago) and can't
| get it to do anything in the way of file name completion. IIRC
| Ctrl+E used to be involved, but that hotkey is now used for
| something else.

i do not have an answer, but instead a suggestion that i think ought
to be employed for autocompletion functions throughout kde: that it
be, simply, <tab> when the cursor is in the text box where
autocompletion is sought. this produces consistency with the command
prompt, and avoids the unwanted list boxes produced in konqueror, in
kmail, and even in the "open with" application selection dialog. the
idea being that the list of choices would not appear until <tab> is
pressed; if there is just one choice, then autocompletion would take
place. yes, <tab> is usually used for other purposes at this point,
but this does not necessarily mean an inconsistency -- for instance,
as i write this note, i can hit <tab> all day long and never leave
the text entry box in kmail. the function of <tab> in konqueror and
other autocompletion boxes now is kind of flaky; having
autocompletion not be invoked until tab is hit would bring
consistency and would make autocompletion useful to those of us who
currently curse it.
--
dep

There is sobbing of the strong,