List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Debug howto : need help on debugging kio_slave
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-11-12 15:37:39

On Lundi 12 Novembre 2001 16:25, Eric Devolder wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> As I'm currently trying to write a kio_slave, I need to use some debugging tools.
See kdebase/kioslave/README

> Regarding the use of KdDebug() method, I'm feeling a little bit confused, as I \
> didn't found any good information about it. I've read somewhere that pressing \
> SHIFT+CTRL+F12 on any kde application would raise a debug window, which is not the \
> case on my environment.
That's very old. This has been turned into a separate "kdebugdialog" program, \
since... a long time ago. If you can find where you read that, it'd be good to fix \
that information ;)

> If someone can indicate me how to get this valuable information... I've also found \
> an application which is into the kdebase package of my distribution, kdebugdialog. \
> Seems to be a mean to adjust what debug output should be taken into account. But I \
> don't know where this output can be seen.
In ~/.xsession-errors if you start X using xdm.
Or simply restart kdeinit in a terminal, typing "kdeinit", you'll see the output \
there.

> The kio_slave is probably not the easiest application to debug, as it is loaded as \
> a dynamic library. So if someone has some experience with that kind of soft & gdb, \
> I would be *very* happy.
Once it's launched you can break into it with gdb.

http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/ , http://www.konqueror.org/
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops