List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Debug howto : need help on debugging kio_slave
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-11-12 20:02:44

On Monday 12 November 2001 07:25 am, Eric Devolder wrote:
> The
> kio_slave is probably not the easiest application to debug, as it is loaded
> as a dynamic library. So if someone has some experience with that kind of
> soft & gdb, I would be *very* happy.

Assuming as an example that you want to debug the io-slave for http, you can
(re)start kdeinit in a konsole terminal like this:
	KDE_SLAVE_DEBUG_WAIT=http kdeinit

Now, when a http slave gets loaded by kdeinit it will get suspended till you
either manually tell it to continue or till you attach gdb to it.

See kdebase/kioslave/DEBUG.howto for more information.

It can also be usefull to redirect the debug output of your particular slave
to a file instead of stderr. E.g. I myself use the following lines in
$KDEDIR/share/config/kdebugrc:

[7113]
InfoOutput=0
InfoFilename=/tmp/http
[7103]
InfoOutput=0
InfoFilename=/tmp/http

This redirects all debug info for areas 7103 and 7113 (as used by kio_http)
to the file /tmp/http.

Cheers,
Waldo