List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdeutils cleanup
From:       Chris Schlaeger <cs () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-09 20:27:32

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 05:21:11PM +0200, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Mit, 09 Mai 2001, Matthias Elter wrote:
>
> > > Hmm, probably I'm the only one that still uses kpm ;-)
> > If you are the only one then I think we should move it out of the base
> > distribution.
>
> Yeah, thanks :-)
>
> KSysguard has several disadantages:
>
> - Its slow as hell. When you ever saw your machine swapping and tried to
>   start up ksysguard you know it was the last time. when my machine has no
>   load it needs about 30 seconds to start up. multiply that by 10 when the
>   machine went mad. Given that you have enough swap the machine swapped to
>   death already before ksysguard has a chance to appear on screen.

Ksysguard needed to collect values over an interval of 2 secs to
produce meaningful values. I've changed that recently and the initial
flicker of the process list will go away soon as well. So I doubt that
ksysguard starts any slower than kpm. Especially when you use the daemon back-end
instead of the shell back-end.

> - its extremely complicated to use. I don't find this drag+drop stuff
>   intuitive.

It was designed with primarily system administrators in mind. But in the default
configuration it's much like kpm. So I consider it a good compromise to suite both
professionals and windows converts alike. But I'm always open for good suggestions.

> - It does not provide as much information on small screen space as kpm. Look
>   at it, you see everything necessary in a window that is maybe 1/8 of
>   total screen size. I actually don't want to have a "system monitor" be my
>   main application, so at best it shouldn`t take up any screenspace.

Worksheet cells will have configurable size/height ratios soon. It's
already on my list for quite some time. If you disable toolbar and
status bar, it uses similar screenspace and provides equivalent
information. If you like the loadmeter(s) simply use the applet
version and embedd it into kicker.

And as with any software, if you don't tell the author it probably
will never get fixed.

Chris

--
KDE 2.1: Conquer your Desktop!