List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdeutils cleanup
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-09 20:21:41

#if Dirk Mueller

> KSysguard has several disadantages:
>
> - Its slow as hell. When you ever saw your machine swapping and tried to
>   start up ksysguard you know it was the last time. when my machine has no
>   load it needs about 30 seconds to start up. multiply that by 10 when the
>   machine went mad. Given that you have enough swap the machine swapped to
>   death already before ksysguard has a chance to appear on screen.

Use the applet. Until I turned my gateway into an OpenBSD box I had this
machine's CPU and mem, the gateway's CPU and mem, and the gateway's PPP
traffic all in a panel. Lovely. Shame OpenBSD seems have no system calls
to get network interface statistics. Would be nice to port ksysguardd.

> - its extremely complicated to use. I don't find this drag+drop stuff
>   intuitive.

Hmm, seems ok to me, but point taken.

> - It does not provide as much information on small screen space as kpm. Look
>   at it, you see everything necessary in a window that is maybe 1/8 of
>   total screen size. I actually don't want to have a "system monitor" be my
>   main application, so at best it shouldn`t take up any screenspace.

Use the applet. It's great :)

BTW, I had to manually edit the applet's XML config file, but perhaps
it is easier to configure now.

Rik