List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdeutils cleanup
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-09 21:34:22

Neil Stevens wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 May 2001 01:52 pm, Torsten Rahn wrote:
>  > On Cebit quite some users complained that kpm was still
>  > quite broken (especially in terms of colors being used which
>  > prevent reading the information sometimes).
>  >
>  > Is this still the case?
>  > If this hasn't been/won't be fixed I'm for moving it to
>  > kdenonbeta because it only would generate bad PR for us.
>
> Move it to nonbeta for one bug?  Think of how empty the KDE would be by
> now if every app had to be removed for one embarassing bug.  If there is
> a bug that requires quick action, I'd rather that the action be
> debugging, rather than cvs machinery.
Correct. The bug I have with kiconedit and kpaint's two-color sidebar
appearing in a sepearte toplevel window and leaving a huge part of the
app's mainwindow empty is *much* more annoying. If the color stuff in
kpm would be a reason to move it, those two definetly would have to go
to kdenonbeta as well...

> If you like, and the kpm maintainer is non-existant or unavailable, I'll
> prepare a patch for htable.C and infobar.C that will make it work better
> with weird color schemes like the dark blue one.

Please do. kpm is very simple and easy to understand. I'd think of
ksysguard due to it's features of watching other machines etc. as much
more complicated towards the user  although I like it's sophisticated
approach. Users used to top will still stick with kpm I guess. (and if
you do, please have a look at those apps in kdegraphics, it should be
easy. I'm trying to fix bugs in kdevelop and kde control modules, not
that anyone says I'd spread the work but don't do anything :-)

Ralf
--
Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grand Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden@kde.org