List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: i18n of icons
From:       Luis Coelho <luis_pedro () netcabo ! pt>
Date:       2001-05-09 19:05:28

Em Terça,  8 de Maio de 2001 23:16, David Faure escreveu:
> On Tuesday 08 May 2001 22:01, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > Also the "character" of the icons and the symbols should stay similar
> > from country to country for the same reasons that  shortcuts aren't being
> > translated either.
>
> Maybe that's a bug too ? :)

IMO as a user, it is not. I hate having to rewire my brain every time I
switch from an english PC with MS-Word to one in Portuguese. I can handle the
fact that the messages are different well, but I keep missing the shortcuts.
CTRL+S doesn't save and CRTL+O doesn't open (it makes some dialog jump in my
face). I really hate that and it totally defeats the point of having
shortcuts in the first place.
At the school I went to we had MS-Word in English, Portuguese and German all
sitting next to each other, so just moving one place meant that you would
start missing shortcuts. Often you only noticed that the language had changed
when you had pressed CTRL+O three times and the open-file-dialog hadn't
appeared.

Not that this issue has an easy solution. I have thought often about it, and
the only way out is to make everyone speak English and stop worrying about
this sort of stuff.

--
Luis Pedro Coelho.

Check out my game of Hearts, a card game, for KDE at:
http://www.geocities.com/deepblack9/index.html