List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdesktop wait cursor
From:       "F () lk Brettschneider" <gigafalk () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-05-09 9:18:12

Hi,

Torsten Rahn wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 May 2001 08:12, Scott Manson wrote:
> > > But let me play devils advocate here
> > > Linux is a multi-tasking OS so starting an application the
> > > box/machine/desktop is not really in a "busy" state I can
> > > start a konsole and then start kmail or other program. If the mouse icon
> > > turns to a busy icon; that to me means that the machine is busy and I have
> > > to wait till the OS is ready for more input.
>
> This is the most stupid reason I hear over and over again from some people.
> Hey, you can paint it in a _different_ way so that the "busy"-symbol looks
> like a pointer with the busy-symbol right next to it. All Windows-users
> I met so far have no problem to recognize that they can still click as
> long as that pointer is visible and that the computer does some
> "heavy stuff" in the background.
>
> > The busy cursor seems to be a recurring topic. The last three times it was
> > discussed it wasn't a good idea and I don't think anything has
> > changed since.
>
> Oh, yes. Something did change. We implemented the best solution
> we had in mind that was *not* a busy-cursor. Unfortunately it turned
> out that the current solution does not work for too many people.
> If you look at newbies who have never used KDE you very
> probably will notice that most users either don't notice the tiny animation
> or that they only notice it by accident. While having no taskbar it isn't
> even possible to get _any_ launch-feedback.
This is very true. The current GUI approach for application launching is
not very intuitive for many users.
That's why I second Torsten Rahn.
The visual launch-feedback of the taskbar should be moved to the mouse
cursor where it will be noticed by all users, immediately and in an easy
way.
The mouse cursor could stay as an arrow but with the animated launch
symbol, additionally.

Ciao,
F@lk