List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: i18n of icons
From:       Eric Bischoff <e.bischoff () noos ! fr>
Date:       2001-05-09 9:20:40

Le Wednesday 09 May 2001 08:13, Thomas Diehl a écrit :
> On Wed, 09 May 2001 01:34:08 +0200, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> >> You are wrong about that.
> >> MS Word in France is definitely "Ctrl+G for bold" (since it's called
> >> "gras"). I was very much confused the first time I used a word processor
> >> which had Ctrl+B for bold - not knowing it was called bold in English,
> >> at the time. And the icon shows a 'G' too, as well.
> >>
> >> I agree with the support issue, but from a user point of view, someone
> >> who always used MSWord will expect the same shortcut :}
> >
> >In france, definetly. French are known to be very french-centric :-)) I
> >once heared from a german correspondent that has been in Paris for a
> >long time that the french are so french-centric about their language
> >that they invent new words for all english words that are coming to them
> >through technology, so this might be the reason for the french MS
> >department to translate and change even icons and shortcuts...Jesus !

It's a cultural issue. If German feel like using English Words, it's their
problem. If French feel like using translated words, it's their problem too.
They are also obligated to do so by the so-called "Allgood law" made by some
French minister whose name is Jacques Toubon ;-).

German people "gehen nach Swimming-Pool mit euren Baby" while French people
use to "aller à la piscine avec leur bébé." ;-).

I think that the best thing to do is to let application developpers put
i18n() calls everywhere, and leave the choice to each team of the amount to
translate and not to translate.

> Not sure what version of the German MS Word you saw last. But in the
> one I have before me right now the icons and shortcuts are translated
> sure enough. The "bold" icon says "F" for "fett" and the shortcut is
> Ctrl + Shift + F. (Similar for italic -> kursiv.) And the average
> German desktop users I know absolutely expect it to behave that way.
>
> Andrea surely has a point with his request.

Sure.