List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Beginner/Default/Advanced GUI (was Re: i18n of icons)
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2001-05-09 9:09:15

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 12:03:16PM +0200, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> Well, the reason why I chose the shell (although I was aware of the fact
> that not everybody would understand it) is that KDE is a Unix desktop. In
> all Unix-Versions I am aware of there is a thing called "shell". This is a
> very typical thing in the Unix-World and if you don't know about this
> thing called "shell" then clicking on that icon won't help you anyways.

Exactly.

It's a clever icon and users who do not know what a shell is, probably also
are not too interested in 'terminal application' or '[k|c]onsole' either.

Bringing UNIX to the desktop does not mean dumbing it down.

Although perhaps it might be interesting to have a

./configure --use-defaults=advanced (or beginner, or default)

which could install konsole as panel icon for advanced users only and could
also show (or hide) advanced options in kcontrol by default.

Or a small app on first startup (if that is technically feasible, kwelcome
was removed for a purpose I guess?) to allow a user to choose whether he/she
wants an advanced GUI (including *all* config options), a default (with some
hidden, although accesible through advanced) or a beginner (with less
configuration options and more defaults and no shell button on the panel).

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | 'What? In riddles?' said Gandalf. 'No! For I was talking
cap@capsi.com | aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest