List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdesktop wait cursor
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-09 8:53:41

On Tuesday 08 May 2001 08:12, Scott Manson wrote:
> > But let me play devils advocate here
> > Linux is a multi-tasking OS so starting an application the
> > box/machine/desktop is not really in a "busy" state I can
> > start a konsole and then start kmail or other program. If the mouse icon
> > turns to a busy icon; that to me means that the machine is busy and I have
> > to wait till the OS is ready for more input.

This is the most stupid reason I hear over and over again from some people.
Hey, you can paint it in a _different_ way so that the "busy"-symbol looks
like a pointer with the busy-symbol right next to it. All Windows-users
I met so far have no problem to recognize that they can still click as
long as that pointer is visible and that the computer does some
"heavy stuff" in the background.

> The busy cursor seems to be a recurring topic. The last three times it was
> discussed it wasn't a good idea and I don't think anything has
> changed since.

Oh, yes. Something did change. We implemented the best solution
we had in mind that was *not* a busy-cursor. Unfortunately it turned
out that the current solution does not work for too many people.
If you look at newbies who have never used KDE you very
probably will notice that most users either don't notice the tiny animation
or that they only notice it by accident. While having no taskbar it isn't
even possible to get _any_ launch-feedback.
The serious backdraw of the current method is that the user doesn't
look into the taskbar once he started the app. He continue
to stare at the mousepointer and will miss that tiny animation
that is going on in the panel.

> I also dislike the notion of sound alerts;  a sound alert should be used to
> get your attention for something that requires more information.

> Instant feedback when you do something is usefull.
> A subtle sound when you select something would certainly
> be a usefull addition.

Subtle sounds can be very annoying if you hear them every few seconds.
Try it: it's almost implemented. Enter an office, start KDE there and
choose _any_ sound for the "New Window"-System-Notification.
Whatever "subtle sound" you'll choose -- I bet you won't make
friends in that office. Also the sound only indicates when
the launch starts - not how long it lasts ...

I see only disadvantages concerning that solution. In which way is
it superior to the busy-cursor? Oh yes, it is _different_ from the
standard-solution.
A very intelligent person once told a story on kde-look: In that
story that person almost crashed into another car just because it didn't
have the 1st gear placed where it usually was placed in other cars.

I guess the driver of the car enjoyed this attempt of being different and
non-standard as much as the user in our desktop-environment who gets no
launch-feedback (because it is too nonstandard to be recognized or just
because it's broken by concept).

Greetings,
Tackat

Cheers,