List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: kdesktop wait cursor
From:       Hylton Clarke <ebucks13 () ebucks ! com>
Date:       2001-05-09 8:49:24

Stephen Yates wrote:

> Mac OS X indicates that an app is loading by making it's icon in the Dock
> bounce up and down.  How about changing/animating the icon that has been
> clicked on to launch the app?  That way no screen space would be needed to
> show that the app is loading (personally I find splash screens very annoying),
> and the taskbar wouldn't have to be visible on screen.  How hard would it by
> to have the app icon spin or bounce while the app is loading?  Or if that is
> too flashy and distracting how about having a small icon such as an hourglass
> appear on the app icon to indicate that it's doing something?

I don't understand the internal difficulties with this suggestion, but if the icon
could change into a pie diagram showing progress of the loading application, that
would work as it would also give the user something to look at while they are
waiting for the application to load. The users' focus would be on that icon
already, so to move your eye to some other bouncing icon somewhere else may be a
bit confusing at first.

--
Kind regards,
Hylton Clarke