List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: i18n of icons
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-09 8:21:55

Am Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2001 12:03 schrieb Torsten Rahn:

> Thomas Diehl wrote:
> > Not sure what version of the German MS Word you saw last. But in
> > the one I have before me right now the icons and shortcuts are
> > translated sure enough. The "bold" icon says "F" for "fett" and the
> > shortcut is Ctrl + Shift + F. (Similar for italic -> kursiv.)
>
> Well, in my german version of Windows 98 I have "Kopieren ^C,
> Einfügen ^V" etc. for all apps (Pagemaker, Internet Explorer etc
> ...). Someone just told me that in Windows 2000 Ctrl-C for copy is
> still valid, hm ...

The best explanation I've heard so far for the Ctrl+X and Ctrl+V
shortcuts is that they are meant to be "visually descriptive" ("X"
being a symbol for scissors, V a optical sign for "insert"). Be that as
it may there are always exceptions. Ctrl+C _is_ an exception.

> I hope your average German-desktop user will never have to use
> Windows 98 then ... ;^)

Most of them are (as I do). -- What Windows version were _you_ using
again? ;-))

> So probably Microsoft has begun only recently to change that (or it's
> just Microsoft Office -- but I doubt that...).

It's mostly Office I'm talking about here.

> Well, personally I use the english version of KDE all day. When
> explaining to people on IRC or via Mail where certain features are
> located I often find myself talking to people who are using the
> localized version. In these situations I have certainly no clue what
> the translated words are that are being used and describing shortcuts
> and icons is certainly the easiest way to solve this issue.

Hm, what does that prove? Anything else than that you a bad support
person for German users? ;-) I'm talking average business users here.

(Please remember to CC you replies to kde-i18n-doc@kde.org. After all,
it affects their work.)

Regards,

Thomas